maandag 18 september 2017

David Gilmour Live at Pompeii

Recently I visited the region of Naples and of course used the opportunity to peruse the streets of ancient Pompeii. In fact, it was so huge and impressive, that I visited the archaeological site twice. To walk around through streets that were laid out over two millennia ago, was a sobering yet joyful experience. It is so easy to imagine the old Romans walk around the streets, going about their business and lives.

When we arrived at the amphitheatre's catacombs I was in for an extra surprise. In one wing was an exposition on the concert Pink Floyd staged there, without audience, in the early 70s. In the days before its huge commercial breakthrough. The experimental music was played, parts of the film shown and great pictures of the bandmembers in their youth.

Once home I saw an announcement for a movie called David Gilmour live at Pompeii. 45 Years after the first show there Gilmour returned to play a show with an audience and filmed it. I couldn't resist and bought a ticket to go out and see it in my local theatre. Despite the fact that I haven't listened to any of Gilmour's solo albums a lot through the years.

Shine on
Sunday afternoon in Pathé Haarlem. What is there to say except what a great show this was. Everything seen up close, a sound that is not only perfect but larger than life. Everything is blown up to huge proportions for a maximum effect. One of the things that remains to be said is, what a shame it is that it's impossible for three senior citizens, who once made up 3/4 of Pink Floyd to enjoy this moment together on stage. For the rest it seems I was looking at perfection.

Even the later Pink Floyd songs and the few David Gilmour solo songs did extremely well live. Gilmour played killer guitar solos and the band played all the right sounds. The five voices that together filled in the harmonies created a wall of sound. It was so impressive. A great 'One Of These Days' with Guy Pratt and his delay pedal in a fantastic role on bass, the oldest song played. 'Dark Side Of The Moon', 'Wish You Were Here' and 'The Wall' all had their share. Not only reminding me what my favourite albums of all time are, but confirming it. Why have I never gone to a David Gilmour solo show? I can't tell you any more.

you crazy
Grandad on stage. It's impossible not to think this when watching this movie. Gilmour looks like the dad of one of my young adult year friends. But then the man is in his early 70s and I have to remind myself how old I was when I bought these albums I just mentioned, wearing my 'The Wall' t-shirt from around that time. (Yes, I still have it, and it sort of fits too.)

Looking at the amphitheatre of Pompeii, seeing the Vesuvio behind it I thought 'what am I doing here in the rain and greyness and cold'? Just over a month ago I walked around there in 34 degrees, with a nice tan and drinking fantastic limone granitas.
diamond

The audience at the (two) shows, visited something fairly exclusive. There weren't thousands of people in attendance. Perhaps 2.000, but that may have been it. A show of legendary proportions and a million times better than the 1971 show, when the band still played these experimental, instrumental, weird, spacey shit, from before the bandmembers found out they could write fantastic songs/ Songs they became renowned for, probably for eternity.

What a show. I was really, really impressed and have come to the conclusion that Pink Floyd may in the end be my band of bands in my decades of loving music, surpassing probably The Beatles. WHAT A SHOW!

(Pictures by) Wo.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten